Saturday, January 31, 2009

By the Way!


Edith Emily's birthday was wonderful. Thank you to everybody who came, and especially to Jill and Paul for hosting us, to my mom for making a special cake from the shredded coconut company booklet of birthday tradition (The rocking horse cake was the same one my sister enjoyed at her first birthday as well), and to the Hopper family for flying all the way up from LA. Edie is a lucky girl.





Sometimes I forget how much I have to be grateful for. A whole year spent getting to know this great kid, watching her grow and make new connections in the world every day. Family and friends who never fail to support and care for us. Food in the fridge, roof over our heads, it's too much to consider when every day there are little hassles to get irritated about. So, I think I'll follow Soule Mama's example and focus on the little things that make me thankful.

Today I'm grateful for:
bare baby toes in clean sand
an afternoon with Kimb and Clementine, who let us stop by for a visit
Edie pretending a banana is a cell phone
A beautiful January day which was more like July
Orange, yellow, and pink poppies in bloom along the road
Having an iced mocha at the best coffee shop in LA with Kenneth
and a pile of yarn the color of wildflowers waiting to be knit into things.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love your shots from Edie's birthday! They are really beautiful. It might have something to do with the pretty cute kid in them too. It was fun to see you guys and celebrate Edie's first year with you too!