Friday, February 13, 2009

blog neglect

Hi there.

I just signed up to receive weekly blog prompts, Ten on Tuesday, because I have been feeling utterly uninspired to make words out of life lately. The words would be something like

ice cream

homesick
television
bike ride
new shorts
knitting knitting blah blah blah
edie this and that
dirty
gerty
jinx
etcetera

The good news is that we've been having at-least-once-weekly playdates with Clementine and her mom Kimb, which means (a) we get out of the house and (b) we practice our social skills. Oh, and (c) sometimes I get paid to play toys and go to the park while Kimb keeps the books at her new job.

This week's list of ten, by the way, only a couple of days late, is Ten Things You're Really Good At.

Hmm. Okay,

1. Being Edie's mom. Every day has it's bad mama moments, such as leaving the child out back with the dog while I ran inside for such necessities as coffee, knitting, notecards, my cell phone; returning to find the child squeezing under the gate on her way to freedom aka the driveway and beyond that, The Busy Street; then running back through the house to catch her out front because I have no key for that gate and am not the correct size for squeezing under (as are Edie and the cats), narrating the whole time while on the phone with my mother for comedy's sake. Or it might be as simple as trying to prevent the child from falling into a water fountain by accidentally knocking the child into the water fountain. (try and figure that one out, it's like a moebius strip or one of those other things that I cannot for the life of me describe or name - a glass vase whose handle becomes a hole in its center? if anybody has a guess help me out! name that mystery object) Just as complex as all that is the fact (theory?) that I'm best at being Edie's mom, even though there are lots of times when I am a crappy mom. I believe I got picked for the team because I'm really good at doing whatever it is that the child needs her maternal unit to do, in order to carry out her earthly directive on this go-round.

2. Typing. Maybe not so good at grammar or make-sensical sentence structure, but sure do I love to hear the sound of keys clicking as I spell out combinations of letters that may or may not have anything to say for themselves.

3. Going with the flow, sometimes. Or at least compared to the kinds of people I've been surrounding myself with lately. Just kidding, everybody I am referring to! Jokes! What I mean is, even though sometimes I get a little controlfreaky because I think my way is the best way, for the most part I think I've learned to let life take the wheel. That's the best way to get somewhere new, to be surprised.....wait a second, see? The "best way"? Exactly what I just told you.

4. Watching Battlestar Galactica which brings me to numbers

5-10. Kenneth just home and the baby is asleep (miracle!) and it's time to watch the latest episode of BSG.

Happy Vallantimes Day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Klein bottle!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle

Hi from us! ---Devin, Monica, Maya & Isaac

Kendal said...

THANK YOU!!!!!

give the babies a kiss from us.