Thursday, October 30, 2008

Aw, the great Inglewood Adventure continues.

you see, we don't actually live in LA. LA County, yes, but LA proper, no. We live in a suburb of LA called Inglewood. We live right by a nursing home, a church, IHOP, Quizno's, McDonald's, and Vons, which is Californian for Safeway.

Last night we went to Vons to pick up some ingredients for chicken soup and a pumpkin. Edily rode in the cart. She is learning to wave. A woman said hi to her and waved and I saw Emily's little hand waving back, down at her side and not at all visible to the woman.
"Up high, kid. You gotta show off that fancy wave."
And then. And then, this guy rolled his cart real close and looked me straight in the eyes. He opened up a black binder which was perched on the baby seat of his cart and silently flipped the pages, one at a time. Was he trying to sell me a magazine subscription? I shook my head with the same apologetic-but-not-really face I use to say I'm all out of spare change (there hasn't really been any such thing since before the Child arrived) and pressed on through the meat department before I realized what he was selling. Those were miniature movie posters!
I hurried to catch up to Kenneth. "Hey, I just saw my first Inglewood bootlegger!"
"Oh yeah, they're in here all the time, or out in the parking lot." He was unimpressed, having grown up with such exotic things, but I still felt like something significant had happened.

When we came home I told Grammy and Grandpa about it. "This guy at the store tried to sell me bootleg DVDs!"
Grandpa said, "What titles did he have?"

Rats, I didn't see.

No comments: