Sunday, November 2, 2008

NaWoAmMo

dangit, I really and truly believed that a Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius would just fly from my fingertips and onto the page, happy to finally have been set free. Doh. I started writing about one thing. Then I got bored with it after about, oh, like a blog's length. My attention span is not what it once was. Was it ever? Hm. So I kept at it, writing crappy scenes that didn't connect to one another. After about 2000 words, I started a new novel. This one was much easier to write like a story. I used the third person and changed "I" to a character named "_____". Still a true story, but now it seemed like fiction. After a page of that story, I got bored again. Just now I had a great story idea in the shower, one that would be ACTUALLY fictional, but that I could easily pretend myself into. But maybe I need to practice sticking with the original idea for a change. I really do seem to be more of a sprinter than a long distance marathon writer. Pace yourself, Kendal.

Anyways, though roughly half of my word count is crap, or little admonishments from my internal editor (what the heck? she was supposed to go stay in the Internal Editor Kennel for the month. She keeps escaping!) about what a crappy excuse for a story I am trying to write, I have 3480 words now, including both story starts and the third idea. Nothing fits together. Maybe they should rename it National Word Amassing Month, because I think the term "Novel Writing" is rather misleading.

At least there are the pep talks to look forward to:
I received this message in my inbox yesterday...

"Dear Writer,

Howdy! NaNo Program Director Chris Baty here. Welcome to the 10th NaNoWriMo! It's great to have you on board.

I'll be sending you one of these emails each week from here until the end of the event. Between my emails, you'll also get two encouraging missives from our panel of celebrity author pep talkers. This week, you'll be hearing from Jonathan Stroud and Philip Pullman.

Okay. Enough chit-chat. It's time to talk geodes.

Geodes, for the geologically disinclined, look like normal rocks on the outside. But when you cut them open, they're filled with all sorts of wonders—bubbly layers of agate, sparkly crystals, elves.

As a kid, I was obsessed with geodes. The highlight of my year was a visit to Dick's Rock Shop in Fountain, Colorado. The owner of the store, Richard Stearns, had a crate of dirty, unremarkable, tennis-ball-sized rocks in his Geode Bin. You'd spend an hour hunting through them until you'd picked out the perfect dirty, unremarkable rock.

Richard would then fire up his slab saw and cut the thing in half for you. The machine screamed and spit water to cool the blade, and it was messy and slow. Most of the time, Richard would lose a finger in the process.

That's how I remember it anyway. The details are a little fuzzy after so many years.

When he was done, Richard would present you with both halves of your geode. They'd be wet, and sometimes you'd gaze down into a glittering concavity of purple or green. Other times, you'd cry because you'd stupidly picked one of the geodes where the all the crystals were caked with a calcified layer of elf spit.

As we head into NaNoWriMo, I'm reminded of the feeling I got standing in Dick's Rock Shop, watching as that year's mystery stone revealed whatever magic it possessed. After nine NaNoWriMo novels—most of which have trended more towards elf spit than gemstones—I still get an excited stomach-flutter at the start of November. I can't help but feel giddy as I ponder questions like: Will this be the best novel I've ever written? And, secretly: Will this be the best novel ever written in the history of humankind?

Because it really could be.

Then the writing starts, and by the second sentence, two new questions have occurred to me. Namely: What am I doing? And: Could this be the worst novel ever written in the history of humankind?

And you know what? It really could be. But that's fine. Trust me on this. Don't waste your time measuring the success of your NaNo novel by the sparkle of your prose or the rock-solid genius of your plot. The books we write in November won't start out like the novels we buy in bookstores. Because the novels we buy in bookstores didn't start out like bookstore-novels either.

Nope. They started out as way-less beautiful, way-more exciting things called first drafts. These are the dinged-up cousins to final drafts, and they're packed with crazy energy and laughable tangents and embarrassing instances where a main character's name shifts six times over the course of a single chapter.

Creating this reckless, romantic, and potential-filled beast is the first step in writing a great book. It's also a fantastic workout for your imagination, and monkey-barrels of fun. There's a catch, though. Getting through a first draft will require you leave perfectionism and self-criticism at the door. Fear not: We'll keep them both safe and return them to you in December.

But in November, you are beyond criticism. Because you are doing something that few people in the world have the guts to try—you're packing a huge creative challenge into an already-hectic life. You're juggling work and home; family and friends. With all of that going on, you've signed up for NaNoWriMo. Where you've spent the last few weeks hunting through the bin of possible novel ideas, trying to pick out the perfect one. Maybe you've got yours already. Or maybe you feel like you're not quite ready.

You're ready.

It's November 1, writer.

What say we fire up the ol' slab saw and find out what's in there?

Chris
NaNoWriMo"



Can this guy write or what?

Back to the typing board.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Go Kendal Go! Just write. Believe in yourself! Write. Write. Write. Hmmm...get the point. I am your cheering squad.

Jill said...

yay! i like that guy's advice. :)